The Amazing Race All Stars Recap
By Daron Aldridge
March 21, 2011
Curse you, Phil Keoghan and your god-forsaken Pitstop psych-outs! (P.S.: I can’t wait for Psych to return this summer.) We have only had four episodes of this season and only two teams have been eliminated. Seriously, two faux Pitstops in four episodes, that’s just cruel to the viewer. The last episode was quite entertaining and actually had some drama at the front of the pack but then dead team walking Kent & Vyxsin were spared to ineptly run another leg before being eliminated.
Here’s how the not-really-a-leg reshaped my power rankings:
1. Father/daughter Gary & Mallory (Season 17) – Thanks to Zev’s Roadblock ineptitude, Miss Kentucky and daddy are easily the top of the rankings. They continue to race hard and despite Mallory’s uncanny ability to innocently (I hope) make insensitive impressions of the Japanese and Chinese people, she is still hard to not like. Together, they have raced strong and smart. Plus they are still sitting with an Express Pass up their sleeve, which could widen a gap for them.
2. (tie) Sisters Kisha & Jen (Season 14) and Cowboys Jet & Cord (Season 16) – I still give our sister team credit for consistency and thus place them alongside the rebounding Jet & Cord. Kisha & Jen hit the mat in fifth but they continue to show they can elbow their way to the front. Wow, Jet & Cord finally decided to show up and allow me to have confidence in placing them high in my rankings. They were low-key racers last leg but it worked out well for them with a second place slot.
3. Globetrotters Flight Time & Big Easy (Season 15) – The guys aren’t quite up to speed from the last time they raced but fond memories of their first season are strong enough to keep them high on my list. They don’t appear to have the implosion trait like the others lower than them but they are now on the outside of the final three until I see the fire and fun back in their eyes.
4. Mother/son Margie & Luke (Season 14) – I know what you’re thinking: “But they are in first place, why are they so far down here?” Simply because I don’t think they have demonstrated they can go the distance here and honestly, their first place finish was nowhere near a landslide. It appeared that first and fourth (possibly even fifth) were only minutes apart.
5. Best friends Zev & Justin (Season 15) – I shouldn’t have told them to keep racing smart last week because they clearly did not. While I think the boys are far from finished and I have faith they can capitalize on an equalizer like a plane ride, I can’t in good conscience place them higher after their dismal last leg. That was quite the fall from grace in my eyes but hopefully they can recapture my favor by leaping a couple spots up this week at a real Pitstop.