The Amazing Race Season 18: Pre-Game
By Daron Aldridge
February 20, 2011
Welcome back to the Amazing Race, friends. We are in store for a whole lot of familiarity with its second All-Star edition, subtitled "Unfinished Business." Given the consistent quality of this show, I have no problem with bringing back memorable teams and for the most part, Phil and company succeeded in its casting. The casting didn’t include any previous winners, hence the ability to appropriately use the subtitle.
The part that lies outside of “the most part” for me is the inclusion of five teams from Season 14. There are only 11 teams to start off with and they populated almost half the cast from one season - and actually a disappointing season at that. Outside of the standout winners/siblings Tammy & Victor and runners-up Jaime & Cara, I don’t remember being blown away by the racing skills of any of these teams. Alas, they didn’t consult with me on their choices, so I will just have to enjoy the free entertainment this show provides. My fingers are crossed for more memorable antics from Season 14’s teams aside from furthering deaf Luke’s status as a villain, which just seems wrong.
First off, here is how the teams would rank based upon their previous placements:
1. Father and daughter Ron & Christina – 2nd place (Season 12)
2. Best friends and former NFL cheerleaders Jaime & Cara – 2nd place (Season 14)
3. Brothers and professional cowboys Jet & Cord – 2nd place (Season 16)
4. Mother and son Margie & Luke – 3rd place (Season 14)
5. Sisters LaKisha & Jennifer – 4th place (Season 14)
6. Harlem Globetrotters Flight Time & Big Easy – 4th place (Season 15)
7. Dating Goths Kent & Vyxsin – 5th place (Season 12)
8. Father and his School of Rock writer son Mel & Mike – 6th place (Season 14)
9. Father and beauty pageant daughter Gary & Mallory – 6th place (Season 17)
10. Engaged couple Amanda & Kris – 8th place (Season 14)
11. Best friends Zev & Justin – 9th place (Season 15)
So, if you are the type of person who thinks that this next go-round will play out for them with the same results as last time, then read no further. But let’s be honest, the world and this race are not that predictable.
Here is a look at my initial power rankings of these teams and a brief explanation as to why I feel this way. Keep in mind; this is 100% guesswork (slightly educated guesswork since none of the teams are purely unknowns - aside from Amanda & Kris, who I didn’t recall at all). Also, all opinions will of course have a tinge of preferential subjectivity. If you have read my recaps over the last three seasons, you will see that my affinity for some teams endures.