The Amazing Race 17 Recap
By Daron Aldridge
October 11, 2010
After two episodes, we likely knew now-eliminated Andie & Jenna as well as they knew each other. But with them off the race, we get to pay attention to those who are left and awaiting instructions in Ghana.
Here’s your departure breakdown:
- 7:34 a.m. – Team HSN Brook & Claire captured first place last time and leave in that position.
- 7:35 a.m. – Leaving only a minute later, volleyballers Katie & Rachel (still indistinguishable at this point) weren't just creatively edited to be on HSN’s heels. They actually were.
- 7:45 a.m. – Father and son Michael & Kevin leave next and Kevin explains that they know they can’t compete physically with the other teams (thanks to dad who’s knocking on 60's door) but they are really in it for the adventure and to see the world together. That is a heart-warming and hopefully genuine sentiment.
- 7:52 a.m. – Newly removed angry man Chad & his beauty pageant girlfriend Stephanie are next to leave.
- 7:58 a.m. – Our next team is also our next dating couple Jill & Thomas, and they are quickly followed by Team Glee Jonathan & Connor at 8:01 a.m. and doctors Nat & Kat at 8:02 a.m.
- 8:04 a.m. – We are loading the fireworks into place with the as promised meltdown by tattooed Nick directly squarely toward equally tattooed girlfriend Vicki.
- 8:06 a.m. – Father and daughter Gary & Mallory are the caboose but don’t trail by that much since only 32 minutes separates first and last place.
All the teams will be not heading to the airport as is the norm at the start of each leg. Rather they are heading to another part of Ghana and looking for a boxing academy, which Phil explains is the second most popular sport here after soccer. I know it’s the show’s researchers, but I like to think that our fair host is just an abyss of cultural and geographic knowledge.
Team HSN gets to the clue first and it’s a Roadblock. Brook (the non-stop talking blond with the husky voice) eagerly takes the Roadblock. Here was she has to do: Properly tape both hands for boxing, punch a speedbag for one minute straight and then jump rope for another 60 seconds without messing up. This may be one of the simplest tasks ever on the show. This challenge is also when we learn that Claire’s nickname for Brook is Bamar, which I don’t get since she’s from San Diego and not Alabama.
Of course, Brook, aka Morgana the Kissing Bandit, plants one on the cheek of the guy approving her fist wrapping and she is off to the speedbag/excuse to shake her butt on national TV. While this progresses, Chad & Stephanie and the volleyballers get to the Roadblock with Chad and Rachel assuming the duties for their teams. Brook gets her clue and they are off to a supply depot in another part of town where their next clue awaits them.