Amazing Race 17 Recap
By Daron Aldridge
October 4, 2010
We left off in jolly old England and had lightened our load by one team. Alas, poor Ron & Tony, we hardly knew ye. Will first-place finishers and owners of the new Express Pass advantage Jill & Thomas use it this early or play it more strategically deeper in the race? We shall see and now it’s time to kick off of the second episode of the season and head to Ghana.
Here’s your departure breakdown from Eastnor castle to Accra, Ghana:
- 11:55 a.m. – Dating Jill & Thomas head out and she once again reiterates that he took charge but she doesn’t always have to be in the background. Race aside, there are some underlying issues with her feeling very unappreciated. On the race, this could be dangerous.
- Noon – Doctors Rhyme Time Nat & Kat describe themselves as balanced because Nat is the Oscar Madison and Kat is the Felix Unger in this friendship.
- 12:20, 12:21, and 12:22 p.m. – It didn’t take long for us to get our first official alliance between Team Glee Jonathan & Connor, Team HSN Brook & Claire (she of watermelon face fame) and volleyball players Rachel & Katie (who I still can’t tell apart). They get some directions to Heathrow Airport from a random bloke on a tractor and Brook happily promises and delivers a kiss for his help. If I have learned anything from Survivor, women shouldn’t waste the flirting on people that aren’t really useful for them. That can be applied here.
- 12:40 p.m. – Father/daughter team of Gary & Mallory leave and Mallory is beside herself as she giddily proclaims that she “hopes to get hold some African babies.” She must have swung by the pub for pint before starting this leg because no one is that happy…all the time.
- 12:41 p.m. – Son Kevin laments the fact that his father Michael’s slow pace and bad legs will be slowing him down. Me thinks this is foreshadowing for the fate and fights within Team Generation Gap.
12:50 a.m. – Angry dating couple Chad & Stephanie are next and wearing cute matching orange caps. I really hope that Chad is unable to deliver on his goal of being less caustic to one another. We need someone to root against this season and you guys made the decision easy last week.
1:35 p.m. – Perfect Strangers Andie & Jenna again express that they are hoping to get more out of this race than a million dollars. The longer on the race the longer they have to share an adventure that they missed out on when Andie put her up for adoption. It may be sappy but I hope they stick around because of that.
1:45 p.m. – Dating human canvases Nick & Vicki are the last ones out and after blunder after blunder last leg, they just may be the ones that I overestimated in my initial predictions. I pegged them to make it to the fourth slot. Unless, they have the best luck on the planet, this is highly unlikely.