So, we're apparently all fine with Disney just being our source of entertainment all the time. I don't know about you, but this week I've watched Frozen II, DuckTales, The Mandalorian, and a bunch of other Disney product. Also, I planned a Disney trip in May. Welcome to the New World.
Friday Box Office Analysis
By Kim Hollis
November 23, 2019
Yes, on Friday, Frozen II continued Disney's domination by capturing a fabulous $41.8 million. That number does include $8.5 million from Thursday previews (mine was completely sold out). Reviews weren't quite in the same ballpark as the first film (75 percent at Rotten Tomatoes versus 90 percent), but the Cinemascore of A- is just fine. And every little girl in my theater was giddy (including me). It's an A+ movie that seems to be impacted by some backlash of parents and others who were simply tired of hearing "Let It Go" for the thousandth time.
With yesterday's box office, we should be looking for a mighty fine weekend for Frozen II, one that will kickstart what is likely to be a mostly slow holiday season (other than Star Wars and perhaps Jumanji 2). It should deliver about $131 million for the weekend, though we all know Disney is always super conservative in its estimates. Regardless, that's a fantastic showing for an absolutely delightful sequel.
Also opening this weekend was It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, a likely Oscar contender (for many categories). A 96 percent fresh film at Rotten Tomatoes (the other 4 percent must have no heart) and the beneficiary of massive word-of-mouth, it earned $4.5 million yesterday. It's likely going to continue to be a factor for the next several weeks, as it's well suited to all audiences. Look for $13 million this weekend.
Our final new release was $21 Bridges, starring Black Panther's Chadwick Boseman (and produced by the Russo Brothers of Avengers fame). It's pretty much a non-factor, as it was going to need solid reviews to capture real attention. It took in $3.3 million and should come in with about $9 million on Saturday.
Ford v Ferrari is the only other movie that really made anything worth talking about this weekend. With $4.5 million yesterday, it declined about 59 percent, probably more than expected. I think it'll still manage about $15 million for the weekend, though.